Rice is a gluten free grain, which may be added to soups and salads or served with stews, curries etc. Rice salad is delicious as a light lunch or as a side dish to a main meal.
½ cup of chopped green leaves (rocket, watercress, romaine lettuce etc)
½ cup chopped fresh vegetables (carrot, cucumber, etc)
½ cup pre-cooked short-grain brown rice
1 tsp virgin olive oil
2 tsp lemon juice
Seasonings of choice (optional such as black pepper, sea salt etc)
Chopped Herbs (optional, such as coriander, chives, mint, flat-leaf parsley)
Protein -Optional (½ cup chopped fish, meat, chicken, beans or nuts/seeds)
- Make dressing by combining oil and lemon juice with seasonings.
- Combine cooked rice, with herbs and chopped vegetables.
- Pour dressing over the rice/vegetable mixture.
- Add protein if required to the rice/vegetable mixture.
- Additional seasonings such as spices: chopped fresh chillies, cinnamon, ground ginger, pomegranate powder etc
- Gogi berries add a subtle sweetness to the salad
- Rice may be replaced with other low gluten containing grains such as amaranth, quinoa, buckwheat and millet