Sprouted hummus is made from cooked sprouted chick peas. It contains a higher level of vitamins and minerals than non-sprouted chick peas due to the sprouting process.
1 cup dried chick peas
½ cup Virgin olive oil
1-2 tbsp ground sesame seed butter made from sesame seeds which have been soaked overnight and blended to make a paste.
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
1 clove of garlic (optional)
½ tsp ground cumin (optional)
Unrefined Salt such as Celtic sea salt or Himalayan rock salt to taste (optional)
Black pepper to taste (optional)
- Sprout the chick peas. See how to sprout
- After sprouting cook the chick peas in some water until they are tender.
- Drain sprouted chick peas but keep the cooking water to add later
- Blend sprouted chick peas, garlic, sesame seed paste, lemon juice, olive oil and enough of the cooking water to form a thick paste
- Add flavourings (cumin, salt, black pepper) and re-blend
- Check consistency which should be a firm spreadable paste. If too thick add some more cooking water, if too thin then add some more chick peas
- Check taste and adjust if necessary
- Add any other spice to change the flavour (cinnamon, paprika, pomegranate powder etc)
- Mix in herbs such as coriander, mint, parsley etc
- The hummus may be mixed with other suitable fillings like chopped cooked fish, feta cheese, red peppers, boiled egg) to make an interesting filling for sandwiches, flat breads etc