Hummus is a tasty dip made from chick peas. An ideal accompaniment to crispy raw vegetables like carrots, cucumbers and celery. Hummus may also be used to add further taste and texture to stews and curries or enjoy it with flat bread.
400g cooked chick peas
½ cup Virgin olive oil
1-2 tbsp tahini (ground sesame seed butter) or make your own by soaking sesame seeds overnight, draining then blending to make a paste.
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
1 clove of garlic (optional)
½ tsp ground cumin (optional)
Unrefined Salt such as Celtic sea salt or Himalayan rock salt to taste (optional)
Black pepper to taste (optional)
- In a suitable blending machine, blend chick peas, garlic, sesame seed paste, lemon juice and olive oil
- Add flavourings (cumin, salt, black pepper) and re-blend
- Check consistency which should be a firm spreadable paste. If too thick add some more olive oil, if too thin then add some more chick peas
- Check taste and adjust if necessary
- Add any other spice to change the flavour (cinnamon, paprika, pomegranate powder etc)
- Mix in herbs such as coriander, mint, parsley etc
- The hummus may be mixed with other suitable fillings like chopped cooked fish, feta cheese, red peppers, boiled egg) to make an interesting filling for sandwiches, flat breads etc
If you want to improve the nutritional content further then sprout the chick peas first and follow this recipe using sprouted cooked chick peas. See recipe sprouted hummus for further details.