These gluten-free pancakes are based on the savoury Indian style of pancakes known as chilla. I have added grated courgettes and a blend of spices to a batter made of chickpea flour (Besan). A protein-rich snack which could also be seerved for breakfast.
1 cup chick pea flour (besan)
1/2 medium sized courgette
Unprocessed salt (optional) to taste
Herbs (optional such as chopped mint, coriander, flat leaf parsley or basil)
Spices (optional such as ground black pepper, coriander, cumin)
A little ghee (clarified butter) or coconut oil for cooking the pancakes with
- Add sufficient water to the chick pea flour to make a batter which coats the back of your spoon.
- Add salt to your taste
- Add any additional herbs or spices to your taste
- Grate the courgette and add to the batter
- Heat up a flat griddle or frying pan and melt a little ghee
- Spoon on the batter and spread with a knife or back of a spoon to form the pancake
- when one side is cooked turn over and cook the other side
Serve the pancake warm with a tangy dip such as mint chutney, yoghurt, pickles, salsa or with eggs