This refreshing tea is made by combining a paste made from powdered turmeric and fresh lemon. Lemon is naturally antiseptic and complements turmeric's detoxifying, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. Adding lemon to this tea helps counteract the bitter/earthy taste of turmeric and freshens the flavour.
1/4 tsp turmeric paste
1 tsp of fresh lemon juice or to taste
1/4 tsp of coconut oil or clarified butter
honey to taste (optional)
- Dissolve 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric paste in a cup of hot water
- Mix in 1/4 tsp of clarified butter or coconut oil
- Add some fresh lemon to your taste.
- If you need a sweetener then add a little honey, date or maple syrup. You could even add a little unrefined sugar (rapadura, jaggery, ghur)
Each cup of turmeric tea made from 1/4 tsp of turmeric paste contains around 350mg of turmeric.
Turmeric can stimulate uterine contractions, therefore avoid this tea in pregnancy.
Turmeric used medicinally has been found to help:
- Reduce inflammation and pain
- Lower blood sugar
- Lower cholesterol
- Lower blood fats
- Thin the blood
If you are currently taking medications to reduce blood sugar, lower cholesterol or thin the blood and want to use turmeric therapeutically then please be aware that it will have an additional effect. See turmeric precautions.
The amounts I have specified (1/4 tsp turmeric paste contains around 350mg of turmeric) should not cause any issues but if you experience any adverse conditions then stop and consult your health care provider for further advice.