For these gluten-free fruity breakfast muffins, I blend soaked whole buckwheat grains to make the batter and then add flaxseeds and chopped dates.
1 cup of buckwheat grains
2 tbsp of flaxseed
½ cup pitted dried dates
½ cup sugar
2 tsp gluten free baking powder
¼ cup rice flour
¼ cup melted clarified butter or coconut oil
- In a bowl, cover 1 cup of whole buckwheat grains with water and soak for 2-4 hours
- In a cup, combine 2 tablespoons of flaxseed with 6 tablespoons of water. Leave to soak for 2-4 hours
- In a bowl cover 1 cup of pitted dates with water and soak for 2-4 hours
- When you are ready to make the muffins, pre-heat the oven to 180C
- Drain the soaked buckwheat grains
- Drain the dates and chop into small pieces.
- Place buckwheat in a blender. Blend until you have a smooth paste.
- Scoop out the blended buckwheat into a bowl and stir in the melted oil.
- Mix in the chopped dates and the soaked flaxseed(don't drain, the flaxseed should have a gel-like consistency.)
- Sift in rice flour and baking powder into the batter and mix. If batter is too thin mix in some more rice flour otherwise if the batter is too thick & does not have a dropping consistency then mix in some water
- Use an ice-cream scoop to scoop the batter into muffin cases
- Cook in the oven for around 20-30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean
Allow the muffins to cool on a wire rack.
These muffins may be sliced and buttered or eaten with some nut butter, cooked fruit etc