Drinking 1-2 cups a day of linseed tea helps rehydrate the colon, prevents constipation, soothes digestive irritation and helps calm the mind.
Linseed tea contains lots of soluble fibe, which supports digestion. This tea has a thick gel-like consistency and a nutty taste. It contains omega 6 and omega 3 essential fatty acids. Omega 3 fatty acids are anti-inflammatory and help to keep cells flexible and fluid. This fatty acid is found in higher concentrations plants and anilmals from colder climates. Therefore linseeds grown in cooler climates will also contain higher concentrations of omega 3 than those grown in more temperate environments.
Linseeds are also rich in lignans, which certain gut bacteria can convert to phyto-oestrogens. Lignans can help to provide oestrogenic support when oestrogen levels are low, making up for some of the deficiency. They can also offer support when oestrogen levels become too high. In this case, lignans attach to the oestrogen receptors, which reduces the activity of the body’s natural oestrogen hormones and blocks their effect in certain tissues.
Research has shown that lignan phyto-oestrogens helps prevent some forms of cancer (breast, prostate & colon) by blocking excessive oestrogenic activity.
Plant lignans have been shown to:
- Promote breast health
- Reduce hot flashes
- Support prostate health
- Provide cardiovascular support
- Support healthy blood glucose metabolism
- Provide antioxidant and anti-inflammatory support
2 tbsp linseed
1 litre water
- In a suitable pan add the linseed to the water
- Bring tea to just under the boil and then switch off heat
- Cover pan and leave linseed to soak for 12 hours or over night if preferred.
- After soaking bring the linseed tea back to just under the boil and then simmer gently for 15-20 minutes
- Serve with or without seeds (it's up to you). If consistency is too thick just mix in some hot water.
- This tea may be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- When heating the tea from cold, it will have a jelly-like consistency which will need to be thinned down with hot water to your desired consistency.