Pesto is great for flavouring sprouted grains and accompanying fresh vegetables. I've left the cheese out to make a tasy dairy-free version.
1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
2 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon lightly toasted pine nuts
1 cup fresh basil leaves
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Lightly toast the pine nuts
- Place sea salt, garlic, and pine nuts in a large mortar and crush with pestle to make a smooth sauce.
- Add a small amount of basil leaves and grind against sides of mortar until they break apart.
- Repeat until all basil leaves are used up and the mixture has formed a coarse paste.
- Add olive oil and stir until mixture is smooth and creamy
*Ingredients can also be combined in a food processor
The great thing about pesto is that you can experiment with other leaves like coriander, mint, rocket and so on.