Virgin coconut oil and butter are predominantly saturated fats and can be difficult to spread when cold. It is preferable to make your own soft butter-based spreads as many commercial soft butter-based spreads do not specify the blending oil used. Usually inflammatory, heat damaged processed oils are incorporated into these types of butter blends.By blending with a suitable monounsaturated oil they will then have a softer consistancy. These spreads are suitable for adding to foods after they have been cooked. For example use to enrich stews, curries, vegetables or for spreading on breads.
The basic method is to blend equal quantities of either room temperature organic butter or virgin coconut oil with an equal quantity of cold-pressed monounsaturated oil (virgin olive oil, almond oil, avocado oil, macadamia nut oil)
- Measure 1 cup of organic butter and 1 cup cold pressed macadamia oil into a bowl
- Blend mixture with a hand blender until smooth.
- The blended mixture will be runny, so pour into a suitable container and place in fridge until set.
- When set this mixture is soft enough to spread
- Keep your spreadable fat in the fridge