Carob is naturally sweet and is said to be somewhat similar to chocolate. Carob has its own subtle flavour which is enhanced by using natural flavours like vanilla. It is best to approach carob as a new taste/flavouring rather than a chocolate replacement. Carob is rich in minerals and unlike chocolate is non-stimulating. Recipes replacing cocoa with carob powder will require less as carob has a natural sweet taste.
Carob may be used to flavour cakes and cold desserts like smoothies or it can also be made into a carob bar or used to coat fruit.
1 ripe avocado
2 tbsp carob powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
2-3 pre-soaked de-stoned dates
(Optional) 1-2 tbsp raw honey
- Chop up the avocado, banana, apple & pear. Place in a blender
- Add the carob powder and dates
- Blend until you have a smooth mousse-like texture
- Pass the mousse through a fine sieve to remove any bits
- Pour into a serving dish & chill
- Replace carob with cocoa to give a chocolate mousse
- Add fresh mint leaves to make a carob and mint flavour
- Add fresh orange juice & orange zest for a carob & orange version
- Add chilli, ginger, cinnamon or cardamom for a spiced version