By combining pre-cooked gluten free grains like brown rice with a homemade dairy free-milk, you get a delicious gluten and dairy-free porridge. Quick and easy to make too!
1 cup of pre-cooked gluten free grain (short-grain brown rice, buckwheat or quinoa)
Water or non-dairy milk (coconut milk, oat milk or almond milk)
1 tsp raisons (optional)
1 tbsp soaked seeds such as sunflower, pumpkin seeds etc (optional)
1 tsp of raw honey (optional)
- Add enough non-dairy milk (almond milk, coconut milk etc) to the pre-cooked grain so that it has a suitable porridge consistency
- Gently warm the porridge. Mash some of the grains with a fork to help thicken the texture
- Add raisons if desired
- When porridge is at your desired temperature & thickness then add soaked seeds if desired.
- Remove from heat & sweeten if desired with a suitable sweetener such as raw honey, maple syrup or date syrup
- Fresh or cooked fruit may be added for additional flavour
- Bee pollen may be used as an interesting nutritious crunchy topping
- 1 teaspoon of cacao powder may be added to give a chocolate flavoured porridge.
- Suitable flavourings like natural vanilla, cinnamon or cardamom may also be added.
- Nut butter may be used to replace nut or seed milk. Just add 1-2 tbsp of nut butter and a little water to the cooked grain. Gently heat until you have a porridge like consistency.
- Savoury porridges may be made by using a vegetable broth, miso, seaweeds etc to flavour.