Gluten free pancakes may be made with a combination of low gluten flours such as brown rice flour, millet flour, coconut flour, buckwheat flour, almond flour etc. Alternatively these pancakes may also be made using low gluten whole grains or nuts which have been pre-soaked and blended until the batter is smooth. To bind the pancake batter use egg, ground flaxseed or xanthan gum.
1 cup of gluten free flour (3/4 cup buckwheat flour, 1/4 cup rice flour) or 1 cup pre-soaked buckwheat grains which have been soaked for 2-4 hours
1 cup soaked dried fruit (dates, raisins, apricots etc)
½ tsp bicarbonate soda
1 egg or 1 tbsp ground flax seed
Water or non-dairy milk (almond, coconut etc) to mix into a thick batter
Fat to cook pancakes in (organic clarified butter, palm oil or virgin coconut oil)
- If you are using gluten-free flour then in a measuring jug, combine the flour, egg or ground flaxseed and bicarbonate of soda
- If you are using soaked buckwheat grains then combine with the egg or ground flaxseed and bicarbonate of soda.
- Using an electric blender form a smooth batter by adding either some water or non-dairy milk
- Add the soaked dried fruit to your batter & blend until smooth
- If necessary add enough water or non-dairy milk to the mix to make a thick batter which can be poured
- Heat up a griddle and melt a little fat to cook the pancakes.
- Pour on a little of the batter to make a 4-5 inch round.
- Cook one side until you see little bubbles rising to the surface
- Turn over & cook the other side
- Cinnamon, ginger or allspice powder can add a warming flavour
- Adding soaked dried fruit adds additional fibre and iron to the pancakes
- ½ cup of a suitable mashed cooked fruit or vegetable can add another interesting flavour to the pancakes.
- Suitable mashed starchy fruits/vegetables include banana, cooked apple, cooked pear, mashed sweet potato, cooked/mashed courgettes, cooked & mashed carrots.
Pancakes may be served on their own or with a little butter. These pancakes also go well with a little nut butter and cooked fruit (apple, pear etc) or chopped fresh fruits (banana, strawberry). A little honey or date syrup may be drizzled over as well.