Kelp Baths - Healing From the Sea
Kelp is an amazing seaweed. It contains a broad spectrum of naturally occurring vitamins, minerals and trace minerals. It is rich in naturally occurring iodine, an important mineral for thyroid functioning, hormone balancing and fat metabolism. Kelp is also an excellent detoxifier of xeno-oestrogenic compounds stemming from the environment such as pesticides, synthetic hormones & toxic chemicals which mimic the hormone oestrogen within the body and interfere with normal thyroid functioning.
When used in a bath, kelp helps to soften and hydrate the skin. Whilst soaking in a kelp bath, the body is able to absorb small amounts of these minerals through the skin whilst toxicity is drawn out! Kelp baths also help to ease aches and pains, whilst giving the lymphatic and circulatory systems a boost.
Kelp is an excellent source of bioavailable iodine. This is kelp’s best known advantage. It provides plenty of iodine, a mineral that most people need more of today due to the presence everywhere of iodine antagonists – bromine, chlorine and fluorides. These interfere with our iodine uptake and utilisation, causing widespread thyroid problems and many other health problems, as well.
For one bath, you will need about 1 cup of powdered kelp .
- In a large pan, mix the kelp powder with about 4 cups of water and bring to a boil. if you are using dried strips then add enough water to fully cover with water.
- Turn down the flame and let the kelp tea simmer for around an hour. The kelp will expand whilst wet so add more water to prevent it drying out. The cooking process is important. It helps extract minerals and skin soothing elements from the kelp whilst destroying any harmful micro-organisms that may be mixed with the kelp.
- Now strain out the kelp tea. It will have a strong smell of the sea
- Run a warm bath and add the kelp tea.
- Soak for at least 20 minutes and up to one hour. The skin may feel sticky, in this case shower off
Follow the bath by resting for one hour. Better still, try a kelp bath in the evening before going to bed.