You have probably heard are even experienced the dreaded castor oil treatment for constipation.
Castor oil can also be used topically on the skin. It's anti-inflammatory properties make it an ideal massage oil for relieving joint pain, nerve inflammation and sore muscles.
Castor Oil Packing
I recommend castor oil packing often. It's a great technique for easing pain.
Recently, my father-in-law had been experiencing some persistent pain around his stomach. He got it checked out by his doctor and was told to take some pain killers and referred to the hospital for some further checks. In the mean time I suggested he try using a warm castor oil pack over the stomach area for a few hours each day.
After the first treatment he happily reported a significant reduction in pain. He carried on applying a castor oil pack for a few hours every evening for the rest of the week. By the time the hospital check up came there was nothing to report.
Good old castor oil packs had helped.
How Do Castor Oil Packs Work?
Castor oil has a unique profile in that it contains around 85-95% ricinoleic acid. This fatty acid is anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and it is a potent anti-inflammatory.
Castor oil stimulates the immune system by increasing production of T-Cells. It also increases the movement of blood and lymph to the area it is applied to, which promotes the healing process.
How To Do A Castor Oil Pack
Here is a step-by-step guide for using a castor oil pack to relieve pain.
- Take a piece of flannelette or a soft cotton fabric and fold it so you have at least 2-4 layers of thickness.
The folded cloth should be large enough to cover the area to be treated.
- Soak the folded cloth in castor oil.
- Press out excess oil and place on the affected area.
- Cover the pack with a plastic wrap.
- Place a hot water bottle or heating pad over the pack
- Leave it on for at least a couple of hours or overnight if you prefer.
- Keep the oil pad in a zip lock bag and store in the fridge.
You can use it many more times, just add a bit more oil each time you use it
This process may be repeated daily for positive results.