I developed this recipe for my hubby who loves ice cream. Regular ice-cream is full of preservatives, additives and sugar. Milk can be hard to digest so my version is dairy-free, made without milk, cream, sugar or eggs. It's soft-style though so it needs to be eaten staight away but that's not a problem in my house.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
2 cups of strawberries
200g creamed coconut
1 tbsp date syrup, raw honey or maple syrup (optional)
- I chopped fresh strawberries and banana in to small pieces ready to be frozen
- The creamed coconut usually has 2 layers. A large coconut layer and a smaller coconut fat layer. I reserved the coconut fat and chopped up the coconut layer into small pieces.
- I added around 1/2 a cup of boiling water to the chopped coconut and blended until I had a thick cream.
I stored the cream in the fridge until it was cold and I was ready to use it
- When the fruit had frozen, I placed the frozen fruit, half of the cold coconut cream and 1 tbsp of reserved coconut fat in my food processor
- Starting on a slow speed, I blended then increased speed until the texture became like ice cream.
- After a quick taste, I added a little date syrup.
You only need to do this if the fruit isn't sweet enough. Other suitable sweeteners could be raw honey, maple syrup or stevia.
- Scoop out and serve in some nice glass dishes.
Eat immediately. Mine melted a bit by the time I took a picture but it tasted good.