Juices freshly made from green vegetables and leaves are great for alkalising the body. I thought about applying the same concept to soups and coming up with some ideas for a green vegetable soup!
This soup is easy to digest and is high in fibre. The addition of herbs, spices and beneficial fats boosts its therapeutic potential. Whilst adding homemade vegetable or bone broth enhances the mineral content even further.
My first batch of green soup is made from the green vegetables leek, celery and spinach.
I thought about using celery, as its mineral and alkalising properties promote joint and muscle health. Celery promotes relaxation and helps stimulate sleep. The rich mineral content can also help lower high blood pressure and release excess fluid within the body.
Leek is a member of the onion family and shares similar properties to onion and garlic. It is anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, antibacterial and anti-viral. It promotes cardio-vascular health and can help to lower elevated blood pressure and cholesterol.
Spinach is rich in minerals like magnesium and calcium. Includes vitamin K, which is essential for normal blood clotting and anti-oxidants like vitamin C and beta-carotene. Spinach also contains important B vitamins like B3, B6 and folic acid.
Leek, Celery and Spinach Green Soup
2-3 celery stalks
2-3 cups of fresh baby spinach
Juice from 1/4 - 1/2 a fresh lemon
4-5 cloves garlic
1 inch piece of fresh ginger
4 inch strip of kelp seaweed (optional)
3 cups of vegetable broth or bone broth
1 tablespoon organic butter ghee
Unprocessed salt such as Celtic sea salt or Himalayan salt to taste (optional)
Spices of choice, I used black pepper and turmeric (optional)
Dried herbs of choice, I used oregano (optional)
- Cut root off leek and cut lengthwise.
Fan each piece out and wash thoroughly. Chop into medium pieces
- Wash celery and spinach. Chop celery into medium pieces
- Peel ginger and garlic, chop ginger into medium pieces
- Melt ghee in a large pan and add the chopped ginger and garlic.
Gently fry until they start to soften. Add a little water if the mixture starts sticking to the pan.
- Add chopped leek and celery then pour over vegetable or bone broth
- Add seasonings of your choice (unprocessed salt, herbs and or spices)
- Add seaweed if you are using it.
- Bring soup to the boil then turn heat down to a simmer & cook until the vegetables are tender
- Add the spinach leaves. Let them to wilt before blending
- Blend soup, add more broth if necessary to bring soup to your desired consistency
- Just before serving add the juice of 1/4-1/2 a lemon depending on your taste and drizzle a little olive oil on top