Prefer a Cold breakfast try Bircher Muesli
I have been sharing examples of warm breakfasts made from natural whole foods, perfect for the cold weather season. I know there are some who still prefer a cold breakfast like cereal with cold milk. With this in mind I thought of Bircher muesli which is made by mixing pre-soaked whole grain oats with fruit and nuts.
Here's one variation of Bircher muesli for you to try.
4-5 tablespoons of oats soaked overnight
Grapes around 5
Cashews (around 5-10) - optional
1 tbsp Raisins - optional
1 tsp date syrup, maple syrup or honey - optional
- The night before, I soaked 4-5 tablespoons of whole grain oats with the juice of 1 orange. Its cold in the UK, so I left the oats covered overnight on the kitchen counter.
If you don't like orange juice you could use:
- another freshly pressed fruit juice of your choice,
- a non-dairy milk like coconut, almond or oat milk,
- a mixture of yoghurt and water,
- plain water or even
- a herbal tea like ginger and lemon!
- In the morning the oats had softened and were swollen. This makes them easy to digest. I grated an apple.
- I then mixed the grated apple into the oat mixture.
- Sprinkled on the raisins and cashew nuts and added the sliced grapes. You could use any fruit, nuts or seeds of your choice.
- Finally I drizzled some date syrup on top. You could use honey or maple syrup if you wish.
A quick and easy breakfast for those who prefer a cold cereal to start the morning.