Of all the grasses, Barley grass has probably been researched the most due to the efforts of Dr Yoshihide Hagiwara, president of the Hagiwara Institute of Health in Japan. According to Hagiwara barley grass is an excellent source of nutrients that the body needs for growth, repair and well-being.
- Barley grass contains a substance called P4D1, which has a strong anti-inflammatory action and helps to repair cell DNA.
- Barley grass is very high in organic sodium. When the body become dehydrated, organic sodium levels become low in the muscles and joints in particular leading to inflammatory health issues like arthritis. Organic sodium helps to keep calcium in solution in the bloodstream and also dissolves calcium deposited on the joints.
- Barley grass can help to replenish organic sodium in the lining of the stomach, which aids digestion by improving the production of hydrochloric acid in the stomach.
- Rich in chlorophyll, which helps to alkalise the body and supports the liver to detoxify
- Contains a myriad of vitamins and minerals including: vitamins B1, B5, B6, B12, C, K, folic acid, beta-carotene and minerals: calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc and manganese
- Contains enzymes including: superoxide dismutase (SOD), a powerful antioxidant which protects the cells against toxic free radicals
- Contains proteins, fibre and trace amounts of essential fatty acids
Fresh Barley Grass Juice
Some people find wheat grass juice extremely detoxifying. It can make some people nauseous or feel nauseaous when they drink it. Barley grass is milder in effect than wheat grass but tastes bitter in comparison to the sweetness of wheat grass juice.
To grow your own barley grass you will need to sprout whole grain barley (see how to sprout) and then plant the sprouts in trays containing about 5 cm of soil. Wait until the grass has grown at least 5cm tall before harvesting and juicing. If you don't have time to sprout then dehydrated barley grass powder can be bought from many health food shops. All you have to do is add around 1 teaspoon of the powder to a glass of water and drink.